Wednesday, February 19, 2014

The Formulas in the Scriptures


When I was younger, I had no idea how to solve a rubik's cube. I would grab one of the many my family had for what ever reason, and play around with it, forget what I did with it and have to turn it over to my dad to solve. I would then get it back in my possession fiddle with it some more, and once again give it to my dad to solve. To me the rubik's cube posed an impossible conundrum of connecting the colors back together. This continued until one year I got a five by five by five rubik's cube for Christmas. I decided at that point I needed to learn how to solve it or else it would stay a jumbled mess. After watching a youtube video about a dozen time I had the steps down. That video taught me that there were a few simple steps that you take to solve it. These algorithms or formulas always do as you want and always solve the cube when applied correctly.


The scriptures give us formulas as well, steps that if we do, we will receive a given blessing from God. These formulas then help us with our ultimate goal of returning to the presence of our Father in Heaven. Life can get confusing at times just like a rubik's cube (or V-cube), but with these formulas, we learn what we need to do in life.

One of these given formulas in the scriptures is found in Ether 12:27:
And if men come unto me I will show unto them their weakness. I give unto men weakness that they may be humble; and my grace is sufficient for all men that humble themselves before me; for if they humble themselves before me, and have faith in me, then will I make weak things become strong unto them. 
Christ wants to help us overcome our weakness, we need to come to Him and let Him in to gain that help.

When I was younger, I couldn't hear that well, which caused me to hear sounds differently causing me to have an accent as people call it. For the longest time, I would be bothered by this weakness of mine, I would have to spell out words (still do), people would try correcting my pronounciation among other things. Since being on my mission, I have taken steps to come unto God. The first formula in the scripture is "if [we] come unto [God he] will show [us our] weakness." Sure enough, I got more and more frustrated by my speech and people always pointing it out. The verse then gives another formula of if we humble ourselves before God, and have faith in Him, through grace he will make weak things become strong unto us. in math terms it would look like
come unto God + humility + faith = weak things become strong.
As I have applied this to my own weakness in speech, I have come to see it as others see it. Many people ask me "where is your accent from?" or say "you have a cool accent" and I have come to see my weakness in speech as a thing that makes me unique, I one of few people born and raised in San Diego County with a "foreign" accent, what's not to love about that! I had to humble myself to gain this appreciation of my speech. I also have come to know that an important part of faith is action, I could have had faith in the promise of this formula, but if I did not speak and exercise my faith that God would help me, I would never have seen the change and I would not have been given the help to change because I would not have been demostrating my trust in the Lord. I still my not be a public speaker, but I know that my weakness in speech is becoming stronger.

How have you seen scripture formulas help you?

No comments:

Post a Comment